Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Accept Forgiveness


Both Peter and Judas betrayed Jesus. Peter did so by claiming he did not know Jesus, while Jesus stood condemned by the Jewish religious leaders. Judas betrayed Him by thinking of himself and what he could get out of helping the religious leaders. Both reacted with sorrow when Jesus was condemned.

Matt 26:69-75 NLT
Meanwhile, as Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard, a servant girl came over and said to him, "You were one of those with Jesus the Galilean."
70 But Peter denied it in front of everyone. "I don't know what you are talking about," he said.
71 Later, out by the gate, another servant girl noticed him and said to those standing around, "This man was with Jesus of Nazareth."
72 Again Peter denied it, this time with an oath. "I don't even know the man," he said.
73 A little later some other bystanders came over to him and said, "You must be one of them; we can tell by your Galilean accent."
74 Peter said, "I swear by God, I don't know the man." And immediately the rooster crowed. 75 Suddenly, Jesus' words flashed through Peter's mind: "Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times." And he went away, crying bitterly.

Matt 27:3-5 NLT
When Judas, who had betrayed him, realized that Jesus had been condemned to die, he was filled with remorse. So he took the thirty pieces of silver back to the leading priests and other leaders. 4 "I have sinned," he declared, "for I have betrayed an innocent man."
"What do we care?" they retorted. "That's your problem." 5 Then Judas threw the money onto the floor of the Temple and went out and hanged himself.

Judas left no chance for forgiveness. He could not live with himself.

Peter on the other hand went back to fishing thinking he could not live up to what Jesus expected. He loved Jesus, which made his denial sting worse. Jesus showed up in his life again to see if Peter would accept forgiveness and believe in what God said of him. Peter would be the rock of the church.

Note the interaction of Jesus with Peter once they know it is Jesus risen from the dead.

John 21:15-17 NLT
After breakfast Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," Peter replied, "you know I love you."
"Then feed my lambs," Jesus told him.
16 Jesus repeated the question: "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
"Yes, Lord," Peter said, "you know I love you."
"Then take care of my sheep," Jesus said.
17 Once more he asked him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was grieved that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, "Lord, you know everything. You know I love you."
Jesus said, "Then feed my sheep.

Peter denied three times. Jesus asked him three times if Peter loved Him. This hurt Peter, but he understood why. From that point on we see Peter as the rock Jesus confessed him to be.

It does not matter what you did. It only matters how you respond to God when He shows up in your life. What do you think your life could be like if you let God forgive you and accept what He says about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment