Thursday, May 3, 2018

Unchanging


Malachi 3:6 NLT:  "I am the LORD, and I do not change. That is why you descendants of Jacob are not already completely destroyed.

Hebrew 13:8 NLT:  Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

I know people who would argue with this. The God of the Old Testament was wrathful and the one in the New Testament is kind. God let the people of Nineveh remain because they repented upon hearing the words of Jonah of what God would do. A couple lied about the offering they brought to the disciples and God killed each of them on the spot. These are only two examples that prove there is still wrath in the new and there was kindness in the old.

God will always have a wrathful side because He is good. He cannot let injustice slide. He is kind in that He is giving us all time to repent and realize we face His wrath if we don’t repent.

Matthew 5:18 NLT
I assure you, until heaven and earth disappear, even the smallest detail of God's law will remain until its purpose is achieved.

This is the moral law that teaches us who God is and how He would like us to act as children of God. Since God never changes, this won’t change either. We still use several of the Ten Commandments for our laws in the US and many other countries. These Laws are there to help us be the people our Creator meant us to be despite the naturally selfish nature of man since we learned of good and evil in the garden.

Psalms 111:7-8 NLT
All he does is just and good, and all his commandments are trustworthy. They are forever true, to be obeyed faithfully and with integrity.

God will treat us the way we deserve due to his just and good nature. None of us would want any judge of mankind not to be good. Most judges that take bribes wind up removed when the knowledge comes out in a just country. We should expect far more from God knowing He will never be unkind to us by breaking His own Laws simply out of wrath. His wrath is based on a righteousness we can only obtain by accepting Jesus Christ. The Law points us to Him, but does not save us. That is Jesus’ job if we let Him do it.

I rather cling to an unchanging God even if the world despises Him than be struck down by the fickleness of man. Even I change my mind on things and don’t always react the same way. I can’t be fully trusted to do the right thing all the time. I need the covering of Jesus and daily study of the Word to be sure I learn and grow into the child of God I was meant to be. I’m glad I made the choice to follow an unchanging God. What are you waiting for?

Psalms 119:103-106 NLT
How sweet are your words to my taste; they are sweeter than honey.
104 Your commandments give me understanding; no wonder I hate every false way of life.
105 Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.
106 I've promised it once, and I'll promise again: I will obey your wonderful laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment