Tuesday, January 23, 2018

God and His Law Are Good

Nahum 1:7-8 NLT:  The LORD is good. When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge. And he knows everyone who trusts in him. 8 But he sweeps away his enemies in an overwhelming flood. He pursues his foes into the darkness of night.

Luke 18:19 NKJV:  So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.

I can see how the fear of God can lean the wrong way. He is definitely good and we fall short of that. Most of us have done something that hurts another whether physically, verbally, or even just in our minds. Yes, even thinking it might as well be doing it with God. We run from God because we think we’ll get what we deserve instead of His love. But if we go to Him knowing who He is and trusting in that, He will know us. If we don’t go to Him in trust or stay away entirely, we get counted as one of His enemies. His goodness will not allow Him to brush over the bad, but a repentant heart will be covered with His love and goodness.

We need all the help we can get. Man is not naturally good. If we were naturally good we wouldn’t need all these rules to teach us what not to do. We would not need enforcement to keep the law because everyone would be following it. God has lined up a way for us to get help. Because of man’s original sin, He gave us a good law to know good and bad. This in turn makes us realize where we fall short and should make us run back to Him for help. If you have accepted Jesus Christ into your life and are trusting in Him, then you have the Holy Spirit guiding you through life.

Rom 7:11-17 NLT:  Sin took advantage of the law and fooled me; it took the good law and used it to make me guilty of death. 12 But still, the law itself is holy and right and good. 13 But how can that be? Did the law, which is good, cause my doom? Of course not! Sin used what was good to bring about my condemnation. So we can see how terrible sin really is. It uses God's good commandment for its own evil purposes. 14 The law is good, then. The trouble is not with the law but with me, because I am sold into slavery, with sin as my master. 15 I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate. 16 I know perfectly well that what I am doing is wrong, and my bad conscience shows that I agree that the law is good. 17 But I can't help myself, because it is sin inside me that makes me do these evil things.

1 Tim 1:8-11 NLT:  We know these laws are good when they are used as God intended. 9 But they were not made for people who do what is right. They are for people who are disobedient and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy, who murder their father or mother or other people. 10 These laws are for people who are sexually immoral, for homosexuals and slave traders, for liars and oath breakers, and for those who do anything else that contradicts the right teaching 11 that comes from the glorious Good News entrusted to me by our blessed God.


Notice all sins, bad things, are lumped together without distinction of which is worse. All of them are sins and separate us from God, making us His enemies. Whose guidance are you going to follow:  the twisted, veneer encased words of Satan twisting God’s law so you feel good about yourself no matter what or the good law that will make you right with God and at peace with yourself by repenting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment